What is the best free music making software for beginners? That’s a question I had when I was thinking of going into music production.
Funny enough we will find out together, today!
If you’re like me, your creative mind is always searching for ways to grow and bring out the best in you.
Finding the best free music making software for beginners is the way to go about when you are starting with music production.
Why? Because there are so many solutions when it comes to picking the right music production software but your budget can be limited so going for a free music making software for beginners is an excellent and cheaper option!
9 Powerful Free Music Making Software For Beginners
Before we get into these amazing free music making software for beginners we need to understand the basics.
When you understand why you need something it will work great for you, don’t you agree?
So, let’s start with the basics.
What is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW)?
I was also wondering what DAW was, so in other words, it stands for digital audio workstation which is simple words is any software that helps you make music with it.
Often called computer programs that work on specific operating systems like Windows, Mac or even Linux.
They are specially build to provide the user with a nice visual interface that will help you create, edit, add, delete, copy, page and mix different sounds together to get the finishing track!
What to consider when picking a free music making software for beginners
I think knowing why you should go for something makes all the difference.
You should stick with the same software you start with for better production.
An unstable mind will produce unstable results.
Once you invest your time to learning how a specific software works, you want to continue polishing your skills in the software so you can improve your overall production quality.
Since patience plays a very big role in this, you need lot’s of it!
See picking the right free music making software for beginners as a long-term investment because soon or later you will go further to get the full software if you’re into music production for good.
Another tip is to try free trials of the softare you want to learn or buy.
It’s not cool to pay a bunch of money just to realize that what you got wasnt even worth it, right?
Most of the brands that create these free music making software for beginners offer free trials so you can easily try them and decide on your own.
Don’t forget to get the software that works for your operating system.
If you’re using windows don’t download a free music making software for beginners that was intended for Mac users, it wont work, trust me!
Last and not least investing in some good music equipments and laptop is really important.
Those items can make you or break you so the better you can invest in the the better results you’ll get.
Now let’s get into the fun part, the free music making software for beginners!
Looking for a easy software with no much headache? Then GarageBand is your go to free music making software, why? It allows you to create a song with over 200 tracks and even has an option of adding a virtual session drummer.
Wow, like how amazing is that?!
What I like about it:
- The interface is easy to use and understand
- Optimized for touch-screen interfaces (your phone or ipad)
- Includes over two dozen virtual drummers that can play along according to your specifications
- Supports plugins for more features if you want to extend the experience
- Can connect with an iPad with the Logic Remote app
- You can share your track via social media or even create a ringtone
What to watch out for:
- It doesn’t run on Windows
- You need a good internet connection to download it.
Works with: macOS
Would I recommend it? Yes!
GarageBand is a well-designed program that will help especially beginner music composers get started with a gentle learning curve.
DarkWave Studio (Windows)
DarkWave Studio is free music production software that supports Windows platforms from XP to 10.
It doesn’t require much storage space and is easily found (and downloaded) online. Note that DarkWave Studio is free, but comes with adware (If you don’t want unwanted free apps appearing on your computer then maybe you should be alert when installing this app).
Inside this free music making software for beginners, you can find different features such as Virtual Studio, Pattern Editor, Sequence Editor, and Multitrack Hard Disk Recorder.
- The pattern editor you can select and edit digital music patterns
- The sequence editor allows you to line up patterns to play in any arrangement and mix the track together.
- The HD recorder tab includes recording options for streaming audio.
- The program also includes 19 different plug-ins which you can use to add virtual effects to the tracks.
- VST Plug-in Support – Limitlessly Expandable With Instrument and Effects Plugins.
- Multi Core / Multi CPU Support.
- Full 64-bit Double Precision Floating Point Audio Processing.
- Low Latency ASIO And DirectSound Audio Output Support.
- Platform Support: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
If you are looking for something simple, using DarkWave Studio may seem a little difficult at first for a complete beginner.
However, you can find tutorials and other beginner support available online should you get stuck at any point.
The good side if it:
- Free to download and use, even for commercial purposes
- Comes bundled with over a dozen plugins
- Includes a dedicated pattern editor
- Easy to use drag-and-drop support
- Projects can be merged together
The ummm side of it:
- Supported only on windows
- You can only export files as a WAV format
- Tries to install unrelated software during setup known as adware.
Audacity (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- Record live audio.
- Record computer playback on any Windows Vista or later machine.
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
- Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files.
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
- Change the speed or pitch of a recording
- Platform: Windows, Mac, GNU/Linux
What we love about it:
- Uses a clean and modern user interface
- Easy to use despite all the tools and options
- Plugins can be used to extend the functionality
- The software is 100% free
- Works on all the major operating systems
- Updates often, so it’s constantly improving
What we don’t like:
- Creating music isn’t as smooth as similar programs
- Effects can’t be edited once applied, only removed and then reapplied
- Isn’t installed in its complete form (i.e. you have to install plugins and encoders to work with your projects)
TwistedWave: Best Online Music Editor
Now we are talking about onlinefree music making software for beginners.
You might not feel comfortable downloading softwares on your laptop and it’s okay, you can use the free online music editor at TwistedWave.
Since it works via a web browser, you can start using it even right now!
What we like:
- It’s a quick way to start making music now
- You have export options like Google Drive, SoundCloud, and your computer!
- You can always works from any modern desktop browser anywhere!
What we don’t like:
- The free version can only edit mono files
- You have limited editing time of 5 minutes
- You must upload, edit and downlod your file once you’re done
- The features is not as advanced as a desktop program
You can use the TwistedWave audio editor to copy, cut, and paste parts of the music file.
If you have a microphone you can record audio directly from your microphone, add basic effects like a fade or some silence, the pitch and speed of the audio can be adjusted, and the sampling rate can be changed at will.
This free online music editor can also show all sorts of stats for the file, like the min and max sample value, DC offset, peak amplitude, LUFS, and RMS power.
LMMS (Windows, Mac, Linux)
LMMS which used to stand for Linux MultiMedia Studio is cross-platform music production software, available on both Mac and PC as well as Linux.
If you’re a beginner then it will work for you. it works for all levels of music production!
LMMS has five editors that will help you create melodies (Song Editor) and beats (Beat + Bassline Editor), as well as make your own mixes (FX editor) and arrange samples.
LMMS also has a wide variety of instrument synthesizers.
- Song-Editor for composing songs
- A Beat+Bassline-Editor for creating beats and basslines
- An easy-to-use Piano-Roll for editing patterns and melodies
- An FX mixer with 64 FX channels and arbitrary number of effects allow unlimited mixing possibilities
- Many powerful instrument and effect plugins out of the box
- Full user-defined track-based automation and computer-controlled automation sources
- Compatible with many standards such as SoundFont2, VST(i), LADSPA, GUS Patches, and MIDI
- Import of MIDI files, Hydrogen project files and FL Studio ® project files
It supports VST and LADSPA plug-ins with which you can mix a multitude of extra effects into the music track.
You can export your files into MP3, AIF, and WAV as well as transfer files from different music production software.
Rosegarden is a music composition and editing environment based around a MIDI sequencer that features a rich understanding of music notation and includes basic support for digital audio.
- Editing – Intuitive ways to record and edit notes.
- MIDI – Managing your MIDI ports, banks, programs and controllers without having to remember any numbers.
- Notation – Entering, editing and printing score.
- Audio – Recording, mixing, and using samples and effects.
- Synths – Playing your MIDI tracks through hosted synths, for more accurate control.
Qtractor is an Audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application.
- Multi-track audio and MIDI sequencing and recording.
- Traditional multi-track tape recorder control paradigm.
- Audio file formats support: OGG (via libvorbis), MP3 (via libmad, playback only), WAV, FLAC, AIFF and many, many more (via libsndfile).
- Standard MIDI files support (format 0 and 1).
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing.
- Unlimited number of tracks per session/project and overlapping clips per track.
MusE is a MIDI/Audio sequencer with recording and editing. MusE aims to be a complete multitrack virtual studio for Linux.
- Realtime Record/Playback several mono/stereo inputs/outputs.
- Graphical editing of automation
- Several types of audio tracks: Audio inputs, Audio outputs, Wave tracks, Group tracks, Aux outputs
- Standardized plugin formats: LADSPA, DSSI, VST
- Drag and drop import and arranging of: Plugins and plugin presets, Parts, Midi files, Audio files, Aux outputs
This software is a Lightweight, powerful tool that has 32-bit floating point audio engine, multi-thread support, sample-accurate looping system, smooth interface and the list goes on and on.
With a minimalistic interface, Giada can be used as one of the best free music making softwares for beginners!
- If You want to load VST and VST instruments, read or write MIDI messages You can use Giada to do so.
- Making things easy for you it’s Build with a live quantizer, a built-in wave editor, the action recorder and the action editor.
Getting the right Free Music Making Software For Beginners can be tricky since there are so many to choose from but trying and deciding is always the best way to go about it.
Don’t buy a software until you try and test it and you’re sure.
Music production should be fun and easy to do!
What is your favorite music making software? let me know!
What to read next? I’ve got you!
Sharing is Caring, Pin this for later!
See ya, Cosby!