When it comes to fashion you should remember to buy what fits you regardless of the size on the tag. All the designers cut clothes differently.
Let’s get into some helpful fashion tips for dark-skinned men!
Super Helpful Fashion Tips For Dark Skinned Men
When it comes to finding colors that suit you, we guys with darker skin have to need to be specific with our choices.
What Colors To Wear
You should choose a single pop of color or two that complement rather than compete with each other.
What Colors To Avoid
Much like how pastel shades wash out paler skin tones, brown won’t contrast clearly enough with your skin, resulting in your look ‘bleeding’ into your skin.
While black and navy are two key colours in any man’s wardrobe (making up the majority of formal and corporate wear), it’s worth keeping these to a minimum to really make the most of your especially versatile skin tone.
Care and Styling
No matter the hair type you have, now that you know your hair type, take the measures to take care of it so it looks its best.
Find the resources near you if you have any available or go online to buy the products you need to take care of your hair. Remember that many of the products used by non-African-American people don’t work as well with these hair types.
Ask your African-American friends (if you have any) or look on the internet to find out where to get your haircut, if you don’t already have a barber you trust. It will save you hard-ache and disappointment. Not all barbers and stylist know how to cut or style our type of hair.
Get your haircut on a regular basis and keep it groomed. There’s nothing like having good hair and getting a new haircut. Something as simple as a haircut will make you feel like a new person.
If you have to disguise some extra pounds or gain a few pounds because the only six-pack you own is in your frig, then read on for some more dressing tips.
Let’s get into some more great tips!
Broaden your chest:
- Lighter colors and interesting details around shoulders in clothing will make you appear broader
- Avoid clothes fitting too tight unless you are going for the scrawny, rock star look
- Horizontal stripes will be your friend and make you look wider, verticals will only make you look narrow
- Heavier, textured fabrics and knits will give you needed upper body bulk
- Slightly wider lapels on jackets (now don’t get crazy on me and do a total 70’s flashback)
- Layering shirts is another trick that will add dimension to your chest
Take my belly…please!
- Vertical stripes will give you a long lean look
- Dark and muted colors are best to camouflage, along with lightweight, soft, matte fabrics. Never shiny Boogie Nights specials
- Shirts too baggy will only make you look bigger. Skim the body, Baby!
- Wear your pants at your waist guys! Under the belly will make you look heavier. Trust me on this one!
- Opt for suits that are dark, pinstripes will be amazing
- Try a 1 or 2 button jacket to give you a sleek silhouette
- A monochromatic dressing will always make you look like you lost 10 lbs
Do not forget to look at the rearview:
If you have a full-size butt:
- Pants need to be a bit looser (I am not talking clown styles here), relaxed, easy fit. Flat fronts will work but make sure they are not so tight that the front pockets stick out, go up a size if needed
- The waistline of pant should not be too high. Otherwise, your butt will look even bigger. Think elephant!
- Keep pants dark and sleek. Pants with a lot of whistles and bells will add attention to hip area
If you have a pancake butt:
- Back pocket details such as flaps add heft
- Baggy pants still not good here, makes your butt look flatter
- Jackets and long shirt tails that hit below the hip are best for camouflage
Check your neck:
- Thin necks need a wide spread dress shirt collar to give width
- Thick necks should stick to regular point collars and open neck styles look awesome
- V necks will make your neck look thinner, crew neck will emphasize the thickness
- Turtlenecks on long necks only, make short necks look thicker and well… like a turtle
Arms and the man
- Great arms, flaunt them with short sleeves and tapered shirts
- Skinny arms need more fabric around them to look fuller, layers again will be your friend, along with sweaters
- Thin arms look better in long-sleeved shirts with sleeves rolled, rather than short sleeves. Gives your arms bulk
- Big biceps need full-cut shirts, and sometimes custom shirts are best to get a perfect fit
So there, you have my tips for emphasizing the positive and eliminating the negative. Hey guys, I do not think I have worked with anyone who has not looked significantly better with these few adjustments.
Super Helpful Fashion Tips For Dark Skinned Men
There you have it, Super Helpful Fashion Tips For Dark Skinned Men
What are some good tips you follow?
What to read next? I’ve got you!
Sharing is Caring, Pin this for later!✌
See ya, Cosby!